:: Re: [DNG] Network configuration
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Network configuration
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 15:01:16 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 18/09/2020 à 13:44, Le Loft a écrit :
> > On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:55:29 +0200
> > Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
> >
> >>     Anyway, wpa_supplicant.conf needs the following instructions:
> >>
> >> ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=dialout
> >> update_config=1
> >>
> >>     You can choose a different group, and you should make yourself
> >> a member of this group.
> >>
> > hi. Two newbie questions. I've just bought an E14 Thinkpad, onto
> > which i installed Beowulf. However, I needed to pull the microcode
> > and wireless firmware from ceres to connect via wlan0. wicd just
> > doesn't work, and I failed to make it work using wpa_supplicant,
> > although this was before Didier posted the above. However, this
> > morning, i got it up and running using this link
> >
> > https://superuser.com/questions/986239/no-dhcp-lease-with-wlan0
> >
> > pkill dhclient
> > pkill wpa_supplicant
> > wpa_passphrase "TheNameOfMyNetwork" "MySecretPassword" > wpa.conf
> > ip link set dev wlan0 down
> > ip addr flush dev wlan0
> > ip link set dev wlan0 up
> > wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -Dnl80211 -c wpa.conf
> > dhclient -v wlan0
> >
> > So newbie question 1: How different to the wpa_supplicant processes
> > currently being discussed is this process?
> >
> > And Q2: I am now running a hybrid Beowulf/Ceres installation.
> > Should I remove the Beowulf repositories from the sources.list and
> > replace them with either Chimaera or Ceres? And then upgrade or
> > dist-upgrade? I'd be happy to run a testing release, but for this
> > machine, security is more important than stability. It will be
> > running proprietary software, mostly from the Google stable; it's
> > main function will be video-conferencing.
>
>     First time I hear of wpa_passphrase.
>
>     This was my missing brick to configure wpa_supplicant by hand and
> the first reason I absolutely needed wpa_gui, because wpa_gui converts
> silently the psk.

As a practical matter, I always have root access on my laptops, so I
often do:

wpa_password <ssid> >> /etc/wpasupplicant/wpasuplicant.conf

The preceding stalls with no prompt, at which time I type the password.
The result is the network is now useable. I use wpa_gui to select it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive