:: [DNG] iSCSI and configfs
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] iSCSI and configfs
Hi.

I recently installed (not upgraded) a Devuan Beowulf system which I intend to
use as an iSCSI target server. I installed the targetcli-fb package for this.

I was rather surprised to find that there was no startup script included in the
package to start iSCSI at boot time.

However, I found
https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Debian_10&p=iscsi&f=1 which quotes a
startup script from Ubuntu (which seems odd to me since the author of the
script is given as Thomas Goirand <zigo@???>, so why isn't it in the
Debian package?)

The script depends on the configfs pseudo file system being mounted, which
doesn't happen in Beowulf.

However then I found
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=840356 which discusses this
very problem, and even specifically for the iSCSI target and the targetcli-fb
package.

That report indicates that sysvinit-2.95-3 contains the fix to mount configfs at
boot time, and thereby let the targetcli-fb startup script do its job.

Beowulf provides sysvinit-2.93-8, however chimaera has sysvinit-2.96-4, so
I've installed that package on my beowulf machine:

# aptitude show sysvinit
Package: sysvinit
Version: 2.96-4+devaun1
State: installed
Automatically installed: no

Homepage: https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sysvinit

(Aside: I notice the version is mis-spelled as "2.96-4+devaun1")

However, I still do not have the modified init scripts mentioned in the Debian
bug report page and therefore iSCSI won't start on boot.

Can anyone tell me:

a) why doesn't the targetcli-fb package contain a startup script?

b) why doesn't sysvinit-2.96-4 contain the patch added to sysvinit-2.95-3?

c) how does anyone else get the iSCSI target to start on bootup?

Thanks,

Antony.

--
If you ask a Yorkshireman whether he knows the German word for "egg",
don't be surprised if he just smiles and says "Aye".

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.