:: Re: [DNG] Lost and found: was Can t…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Lost and found: was Can this drive be saved?
On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 08:39:10PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Sep 2020 00:43:11 -0500
> golinux@??? wrote:
>
> > On 2020-09-04 22:25, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > > Delete the contents all you want, but keep the lost and found
> > > directory.
> > >
> > > -- hendrik
> > >

> > Understood. I realize that directory is necessary and would only
> > delete the contents. But a reminder is always good and might be
> > useful to someone else. :)
> >
> > golinux
>
> Whoops. I never realized the directory was necessary, and have always
> deleted it so backups wouldn't give an error message that they couldn't
> back it up because the current destination file is root.root and can't
> be backed up by slitt.slitt.
>
> So I just remade the directories I deleted ago, chmod 700, owned by
> root.root. Exactly what would I expect to find in them?

Files that have become unattached from their diretories through
file-system errors. fsck puts them there instead of deleting them.

But use mklost+found to create the lost+found directory, not mkdir.
mklost+found makes a directory that has enough space for entries for the
found files.
mkdir makes an (almost) empty directory, and may not have enough space
if many files are found.

-- hendrik