:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Simon Walter
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On 9/5/20 11:19 AM, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2020-09-04 20:46, Simon Walter wrote:
>> On 9/5/20 1:34 AM, Andreas Messer wrote:
>>> Hi golinux,

>>> I wouldn't use a drive anymore which has started reallocating
>>> sectors, well which has reallocated sectors all.
>>
>> It's on it's way out for sure.
>>
>> However, I am interested in how you are able to know that sectors on
>> golinux's disk have been relocated - from the information provided to
>> this mailing list. I know it's possible to see that in the SMART data,
>> but I didn't see that posted. Are short reads always surface errors?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Simon . . . SMART data attached. I hadn't noticed this before . . .
> sounds ominous . . .
>
> SMART Status command failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)
>
> Note that I ran this from GSmartControl not a terminal.

I think it's because you are connected via USB. From my experience, the
best way, possibly the only thorough way, to diagnose a SATA disk drive
is connected to a SATA controller directly, which is why I really like
notebooks that have eSATA ports.

About my above question to Andreas, I am interested to learn if this is
indeed the case: short reads indicate surface error.

I have gotten this error over USB before. When connecting the same disk
to a known working SATA controller, I was able to use it fine and no
errors occurred. USB -> SATA controllers/cases in my experience are of
poor quality and fail before the disk does. I am not one to hang on to a
failing disk, but you sound thorough. So I'd suggest using a SATA
controller to read the SMART data and run other diagnostics.

If you are a data hoarder and like disks, I'd suggest getting your hands
on some hardware that has a SATA controller. It doesn't need to be fancy
or new. Pretty much any working desktop is fine.

In your SMART data:
Reallocated_Sector_Ct = 1
However:
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Reallocation, to my knowledge, should happen in the background. It's
*possible* that the reallocation event and the FS corruption are unrelated.

If that count keeps going up, don't use the disk. Eventually the surface
will not be able to store data/be magnetised.

I am keen to learn more about disk recovery. So please, anyone, correct
me if I am wrong.

Best regards,

Simon