:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 01:50:07AM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2020-09-01 00:07, golinux@??? wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread (some off-list). I
> > just wanted to drop a short note updating you that the dock arrived
> > earlier today but I haven't yet had a chance to open the box. I am not
> > an impulsive person. I tend to measure 6 times and cut once! So it's
> > going to take me a while to sort through all the suggestions and
> > decide how to proceed. I'll post when I have figured that out and the
> > stars align. Stay tuned . . .
> >
> > golinux
>
> Well . . . I decided to run an fsck on the misbehaving harddrive. It started
> off by identifying the errors and rewriting them and then went through Free
> block counts, Inode bitmap differences and Free inodes and directory count.
> Some snippets of the output are posted below. I did not stick around to
> watch all of it so may have missed something. It took a long time to sort
> itself!

You might want to compare the contents of the disk with a recent backup, and see if they match.
When they don't, you should heck whether it' because
(1) the data on disk have become bad, or
(2) the data has changed legitmately sine the last backup.
Of course it's possible that the data went bad before that backup and garbage has been backed up.

> When it finished, I mounted the drive without issue and could read the
> remaining directories and files. However the /media/xxxxxx/cstwo/600
> directory mentioned in the original mounting error below was nowhere to be
> found:

Have you checked the top-level lost and found directory? Stray files end up there
if fsck doen't know where they belong.

-- hendrik