:: Re: [DNG] Error installing samba in…
Author: Rowland penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Error installing samba in beowulf
On 31/08/2020 21:00, Ismael L. Donis Garcia wrote:
> I replenish between the lines
>
>> It has always worked for me (famous last words), is your sources.list
>> file correct ? Have you run 'apt update' and 'apt upgrade' recently ?
>
> Yes, I did it today

OK

>> How are you planning to run Samba ? (this has nothing to do with your
>> present problem)
>>
>> Are you going to run Samba as a DC or Unix domain member ? If so,
>> don't bother installing sssd, you cannot use it with Samba any more,
>> you will also require 'winbind' at least.
>
> whether to join the PC to an Active Directory Windows Server 2016

You cannot use sssd with Samba, even red-hat admit this, you will need
to install these packages:

samba winbind libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5 ntp krb5-user

You will also need to setup smb.conf correctly.

> I have a local repository which I update from: pkgmaster.devuan.org

That could be your problem, I have lines in sources.list like this:

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main contrib non-free

Once you get Samba to install, you should upgrade it, 4.9.5 is EOL from
Samba's point of view, see here:

http://apt.van-belle.nl/

I know they are for Debian, but they work with Devuan.

Rowland