:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: golinux
CC: Bruce Perens, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 10:36:26PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2020-08-29 22:15, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 09:15:13PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> >>dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/sdx
> >
> >That will just erase the first megabyte of the drive, leaving
> >utilities like cfdisk to think the drive is new and unformatted. It
> >won't attempt to over write the bad sector(s) though. See the other
> >message I posted on how you can try to over write just the bad
> >sector(s) faster.
> >
> >Greg
>
> Gregory . . . the detailed instructions in this and your previous email are
> very helpful. Thanks for catching the error. If needed, I will use this
> command as you suggested:

I just looked at what you posted earlier, and realized that it didn't
give a count= parameter. So, the command you gave earlier would
actually erase the entire drive one megabyte at a time instead of 512
kilobytes at a time, which I believe is the default block size dd
uses.

So, to clarify,
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/sdx
would in fact erase the entire drive. Apologies for the confusion.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1