:: Re: [DNG] terminology
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] terminology
Le 24/08/2020 à 00:20, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 01:55:59PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 03:19:12 -0700
>> spiralofhope <spiralofhope@???> wrote:

>>> Perhaps something like inode?
>> Inode is a number used to locate a file or directory, so it's the wrong
>> word for this purpose. I'd suggest either "file or directory", or to
>> coin your own word (filerectory?).
> Actually, an inode is an entry in the on-disk inode table.
> The number is an index into that table.

    The inode only exists in the filesystem manager; the inode number
can be obtained by userspace applications but not used for anything else
than comparing two of them, because is no IO function taking the inode
number as input. Therefore it looks to me more like an implementation
detail than a sensible concept.

--

            Didier