:: Re: [DNG] terminology
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] terminology
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 03:15:22PM +0200, Luciano Mannucci wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 08:52:55 -0400
> fsmithred via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > I was told that everything in linux is a file, even your hardware.
> No,no, this is plan9...

As well as its successor, Inferno.

Lots of things are files in Unix; this was copied in Linux.
It was so successful in Unix that they went whole hog in Plan 9 and Inferno.

Mu memory may be failing ne after almost half a century, but I recall
that the original Unix, way back in the early 70's,
even directories could be read as files. Not that there was
some hidden trickery making them into files; instead there were
conventions how files could be treated as directories.

-- hendrik