:: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2020-08-…
Author: B Stack
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2020-08-20
# Devuan meet 2020-08-20 @20:30 UTC

Pad is here:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/38sdru-c7tUi4JQwobOfMLll/

Meet here: https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
  * Please post notes prior to the meet.
  * Please add your name as 'Present' below when you get to the meet.
  * When adding a comment in someone else's notes, please pre-pend your
    name like this: (whoever) whatever . . .

Present: LeePen, fsr, golinux, rrq. Beer, mason

## Old Business

### rrq
* without too smooth sailing, the infrastructure nodes are now all
upgraded to beowulf nash was done earlier, and is still using the
4.9.0-6 kernel. The other three use 4.19.0-10.

## Old Actions
* Still no 2019 Devuan financial report from Dyne. :(

## New Business

### LeePen
* Ceres: updated network-manager and apt (thanks amesser)

### mason
* Set up test wiki on devuan hardware

## New Actions
* More public visibility about changes to infra that affect sources.
Maybe threads on d1g and dng?
* rrq set space for mason to work on devuan wiki

## After-meeting talks
* rrq
* Beer

### Infrastructure map Continuing
https://git.devuan.org/Beer/infrastructure-map as a way to (publicly?)
document machines (+ their addresses), services (+ ports) & domain
names. This census would be a 1st step into something eventually
cleverer (ie automated), but would serve us well as to have a quick
shared view of the use of our resources. Thanks to rrq for the
informations sources

### Prometheus Monitoring system through metrics collection:
https://prometheus.io/docs/introduction/overview/ Allows arbitrary
metrics to be exposed anywhere through exporters. For instance the
[node_exporter](https://github.com/prometheus/node_exporter) exports
system metrics, which we would be most interested in. This data is
then collected by Prometheus & stored in a Time-Series DataBase (TSDB)
internal to Prometheus Data can then be queried through [Prometheus
Query
Language](https://prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/querying/basics/).
A way to visualise data is through
[Grafana](https://grafana.com/grafana/download) (visualisation tool).
Cf. [GitHub project](https://github.com/grafana/grafana)

#### Demonstration > **Beer** > > I spawned Prometheus + node_exporter +
Grafana on my personal server, each in their own Docker container. > >
This is (securely) exposed to the public so I can showcase the
abilities of such a metrics collection & display system if need/wish
be.