:: Re: [DNG] measure memory usage
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] measure memory usage
On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 10:47:53AM +0100, g4sra via Dng wrote:
> Your query does not make sense to me.
>
> On 21/08/2020 21:23, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > Is there a way for process to ask about its own memory usage?
> >
> > Something perhaps like the C functions that were available in the dark
> > ages on other computer systems that could tell how much memory had
> > been allocated but not freed so far? Or some reasonable surrogate?
>
> "dark ages" ?

In the 70's and 80's when just about every computer system had a subtly
different C library.

> Do you mean the 'c' functions provided by including <malloc.h> ?
> 'man mallinfo' for an example doing exactly what you appear to be asking here.

This seems to be exactly what I wanted.
Thank you.

Looks like you understood me.

-- hendrik

> > Yes,I know there are administrative tools that let me survail all the
> > processes in the system. But isn't there something the program can do
> > for itself without that level of agony?
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> what 'level of agony' are you referring to ?
>
> One person may find a 'thing' difficult whilst another person
> with a different skillset may find the same 'thing' trivially easy.

I meant the overhead in using things like the ps shell command and
extracting the information I wanted. Doing an exec seems like overkill
for what I wanted.

-- hendrik