:: Re: [DNG] How to mount NTFS
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to mount NTFS
On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 03:04:12PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 05:33:16PM +0100, g4sra via Dng wrote:
> >
> > My bad, changed from '#!/bin/bash' syntax to '#!/bin/sh'
> >
> > # this must follow immediately after the mount command
> > if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
> > echo "Mount Failed!"
> > exit 1
> > fi
>
> I'll give it a try. Thanks.
>
> > Easy access to files is exactly why I use 'rsync', no need to go down the painful
> > 'restore master backup' followed by 'restore all further incremental backups'.
> > Plus it only copies as required and optionally backs up the backup.
> > So you get protection against 'User' error as well as device failure.
> > Trust me on this, read the 'rsync' manual.
>
> I'll look into that.

And there's rdiff-backup. It's the one I use.

Keeps old versions of files as well as new ones.
The latest version is just there in the file system, as if everything
just got copied there. I've oftern been able to restore single files
with the normal shell tools.

There are mechanisms whereby it can save pernissions, attributes and the
like even if the backup file system doesn't handle them itself If yo
use rdiff-backup to restore files instead of just cp, it will
find and restore these extras as well.

And it will also do backups over the net if you have rdiff-backup
available on two hosts. When on of my machines USB ports failed, I
could happily run my backups from my laptop, connecting to the failing
machine by rdiff-backup over ssh. Not as fast, but it worked.

-- hendrik