:: [DNG] Backups for Posterity Re: Ho…
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Backups for Posterity Re: How to mount NTFS
On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 12:19:19 -0400
Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:

> > If the drive is never plugged into a Windows machine, then there is
> > no point in it being formatted as NTFS.
>
> I do not have clients. I'm well past life expectancy, and so I need
> to know that my grandchildren can simply plug the drive into a
> Windows machine or Mac to access the files.
>
> > , but it would be better formatted with ext4 or another Linux
> > filesystem.
>
> Yes, for sure. If you are right about the speed difference between
> NTFS and ext4, then is there another FS that can be accessed by a
> Windows machine that is not much slower than ext4?

A suggestion to meet your needs.
Make anisofs from your backups and write the result to a CD/DVD.

Unless I'm suffering brain fade*, that should meet your need for a
proper backup system and make the data in a format available to the
descendants. Plus you can test the system with the recipients now and
iron out any bugs.

The only thing you need to do manually is write the text on the
CD/DVD.

*Mutter, mutter, reinstalling a recalcitrant Win7 computer will do that.