:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: [kbd] [ANNOUNCE] kbd…
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fwd: [kbd] [ANNOUNCE] kbd-2.3.0
On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 16:14:44 +0200
viverna <viverna@???> wrote:

Swapping the order of your comments.

> Only I think pure console in Linux should be better treated (for
> example 16M colors (if framebuffer is enabled it is possible),
> support for very large font, better support for SGR parameters in
> ANSI escape code, maybe Sixel.

Err, AFAIK, the console is just a minimmal text based output to provide
information in the event of error in the intial boot up and yes, ever
since 1920x1024(?) capable screen became common place, you might have
to quIck with a magnifying glass if you need to see those initial few
lines.

However, there are options in grub.cfg(?) to improve stuff where you can
set certain parameters to improve how messages are displayed.

Being no expert on this and just crawling through my current grub.cfb
which is the result of hacking to fix similar problems in the past,
there are settings to do with font and gfxmode, then you can invoke
gfxterm and switch the display to that.

.......extract ...........

if loadfont $font ; then
set gfxmode=1024x768
load_video
insmod gfxterm
set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
set lang=en_AU
insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm

....end of extract......
Swapping from the default of 640x460 to 1024x768 enabled me to clearly
read the boot up text on the console after the initial few lines.

In another section, it has the option of loading a video driver or
two(mods in i386 section), which might help.

The the solution of course has always been to have a simpler monitor
to pug in to sort out the initial book problems.