:: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get…
Author: Pavel Machek
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: maemo-leste
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get make phones... phone (for Motorola Droid 4)
Hi!

> >> We are unlikely to get phonecalls to work in a useful way on
> >> N900.
> > Ever? Over at #postmarketos on freenode they told me maemo-leste was
> > closer to phone functions than pmos.
>
> I believe that we will get those to work. Sicelo has already reported
> being able to make calls and hear one side clearly. As far as I
> understand this is doable, there might be some latency issues to work
> out, but I also recently discovered some Nemo audio work that might help
> us, too: https://github.com/nemomobile/pulseaudio-module-cmtspeech-n9xx/
>
> Pavel, have you seen this ^ before?

Not really. ... good luck!

(Having _one_ clear voice channel is easy -- I had that. Having _two_
clear channels + extreme latency is easy, too. Having something usable
seemed too hard to me.)

> For me, the focus has just been on the Droid 4, simply because it's more
> powerful, and faster to develop on. And the modem does echo
> cancellation, supposedly, whereas the N900 modem requires that to be
> done in userspace. Pulseaudio has modules for that (echo cancellation)
> now, too.

Echo cancel should only be neccessary for speakerphone...

> > I was really hoping to rock my N900 with latest linux as my daily
> > phone... :(
>
> I think you might be able to, somewhere this year.

Year is long time :-). But I'd recommend Droid 4 or PinePhone/Librem5
if voice calls are priority.

Best regards,
                                    Pavel