:: Re: [DNG] Upgrade problem [ ascii -…
Author: Alexander Bochmann
To: Andrew McGlashan via Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Upgrade problem [ ascii -> beowulf ] failed to boot, left at initramfs shell -- with fix and query
...on Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 05:12:54PM +0200, Alexander Bochmann wrote:

> ...on Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 06:14:51PM +1000, Andrew McGlashan via Dng wrote:
> > Using the /dev/mapper device name would likely have been just as good, but I'm not sure as I didn't try that
> I'll try if using UUIDs in the fstab makes a difference in the
> boot process later tonight (and maybe why, if it indeed does).

So yes, using a UUID for a split /usr mount (on lvm)
in the fstab totally doesn't work. I'm landing in the
"Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done." loop too,
ending with "ALERT! UUID=<uuid-for-usr> does not exist.
Dropping to a shell!"

I apparently changed my fstab from UUIDs to the /dev/mapper
symlinks some time in 2019, way before my upgrade to beowulf
(possibly when I migrated that machine into a VM) - so at
least for some configurations, this problem has also been
present in ascii.

Searching for the error messages, the hint to use device names
shows up for older Ubuntu versions too, but I haven't found a
good explanation why this happens. Initramfs scripting for lvm
was never fixed to work with UUIDs?

Alex.