:: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk …
Author: spiralofhope
To: J. Fahrner
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk active in fstab
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 06:31:40 +0200
"J. Fahrner" <jf@???> wrote:

It looks to me like your drive is in good health and supports (and
uses) all the good health features.

As the other poster suggested, using another drive to troubleshoot may
still be useful, but your drive appears fundamentally good.

--

optional:

> No self-tests have been logged. [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

FYI, and I don't think this is important because the other automated
self-checks passed, but if you ever want to do manual testing, you
could do:

A conveyance test is if you move it around a lot (it's USB after all)
and maybe drop it and want to check it quickly. This might not be
supported:
smartctl -t conveyance /dev/xxx

This is quite quick (minutes):
smartctl -t short /dev/xxx

If you have time (probably overnight, and I don't believe USB speed
matters):
smartctl -t long /dev/xxx