:: Re: [DNG] Preparation for upgrade t…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: Steve Schlaifer, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Preparation for upgrade to beowulf
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 04:41:22PM -0700, Steve Schlaifer wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 15:58:27 -0400
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>
> > It's getting to be time for me to upgrade my ascii server to beowulf.
> >
> > But I have some worries, having heard people have had problems with
> > said upgrade.
> >
> > What I absolutely need after the upgrade is a text console and
> > network cnnectivity. Because this is my link to the rest of the
> > world, and if something goes wrong I won't be able to ask for help.
> > Since i'm in coronavirus lockdown, a trip to a local coffeeshop's
> > wifi isn't really an option. (they're pretty closed down anyway)
> >
> > So. What information, code, binaries, documentation should I be
> > collecting ahead of time in case it doesn't go smoothly? I don't
> > care that much about interactive graphics, desktop environments, and
> > the like. If I get a text console with root access, internet
> > connection and bridging and masquerading to my LAN, that's enough.
> >

> My upgrade went pretty well with a minor problem with permissions
> on /tmp which would allow root to log on but not me. Adding o+t to the
> permissions took care of that.
>
> How about a disk image using dd to a thumb drive or equivalent. If
> things go really badly, you could then dd that thumb drive back to your
> hard drive and start over.

If I can boot enough to do dd.

I'd need a 2 terabyte thumb drive.

Sounds like I need heavier metal, but I should be able to find another
heavy-duty backup drive.

I guess the thing to do is to make a rescue disk (possibly a live Devuan
USB) or the installer an to use that.

Or maybe install a small Linux system for recovering the one that works.

Having a spare emergency Linux system on disk is probably a good idea
anyway. I think I have enough space for that. It will have to
understand local text console, IP routing, access to two ethernet
intefacing, maasqierading, PPPOE, and software RAID.

That's close to a minimal installation, with some configuration copied
over from the current working system.

Sounds doable.

-- hendrik