:: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk active in fstab
Le 13/06/2020 à 10:53, J. Fahrner via Dng a écrit :
> Am 2020-06-13 10:31, schrieb richard lucassen:
>> The nofail means that it wil mount automatically, but if the disk
>> is absent it won't give errors. But it does not wait for the device!
>
> The disk has itś own power supply and is always connected. I think
> there is something missing at the boot stage (driver?).
>
>> ok, I assume it's u-boot? In that case you can easily try to boot from
>> another disk. But apparently you do not have access to the device?
>
> I don't know the boot process. I think it's like a Raspberry Pi. There
> is a little FAT partion and a EXT4 root partition on emmc. Since it is
> headless, I only can access it through ssh. When it does not boot I
> have to open it, remove the emmc card, insert it into an adapter and
> reverse my changes on pc.This is very elaborate. So I need a
> straightforward method to isolate the problem.

    I had a problem around 15 years ago booting a Powerpc SBC with
rootfs on a USB disk and without initramfs. around 15 years ago. Even
though the disk was powered on its own, it didn't start spinning before
the driver started it. I solved it by adding a delay to the kernel
before mounting the rootfs - there was a parameter for that.

    Maybe it's just enough to add such a delay before trying to mount
your USB disk.

        Didier