:: [DNG] FWIW Re: Ascii to Beowulf
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] FWIW Re: Ascii to Beowulf
On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 12:49:28 +0200
Riccardo Mottola via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I just upgraded from ascii to beowulf a pretty decent laptop, equipped
> with a core i7 and 8GB of RAM.
>
> I upgraded everything in place: so same desktop environment, same
> applications, same hard disk... just "apt-get dist-upgrade"
> essentially.

BLINK! Perhaps I'm just a belts and braces guy, but there was a pile
more work I carried out.

0.Started with Devuan ascii system with ascii-backports in sources,conf.

1. Check system up to date in ascii files;
     1a  apt-get update
     1b  apt-get upgrade
     1c  apt-get dist-upgrade

2. In /etc/apt/sources.conf s/ascii/beowulf/

3. Then did the trio again.
     3a  apt-get update
     3b  apt-get upgrade   changed ~700 files.
     3c  apt-get dist-upgrade   changed around 700 files.

4. Hardware reboot without error.

5. Then did the trio again.

5. Finally apt autoremove.
Actuall all commands were sudo <command>.

These are just spare headless machines with base user level install that
seldom get used and I thought were up to date, so I was really surprised
at the number of files to be upgraded. Both(to date) have no prior
Devuan or other distro history.

The reason I do it that way, is the culmulative experience of version
upgrades that have crashed and burned over the decades.

For these machines, I didn't back anything as they are non essential
and if they crash & burn, it is ISO onto cd/DVD time and a complete
clean out.

Anyway, posted For What It Is Worth,