:: Re: [DNG] Orange Pi Zero/Orange Pi …
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Orange Pi Zero/Orange Pi PC
On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 04:41:17 -0700
Rick Moen via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> > Yes and no:
> >
> > -n  Use SNTP (old RFC 2030, currently RFC 5905) instead of  the  RFC
> >     868 time protocol.

> > # rdate -n ntp.xs4all.nl
> > Fri Jun 12 12:07:04 CEST 2020
>
> Point taken. SNTP _is_ worthy of respect -- but I'd personally rather
> have and use full NTP tools, and, given that the later are around and
> standard, I don't also need one that does just SNTP (or that plus RFC
> 868 Time Protocol).

I run openntpd and on boards without RTC I made
a /etc/init.d/setboottime using rdate that is started right after the
network comes up. After that openntpd and all other scripts find a
clock that is not at 1-1-1970 01:00. I know openntpd has an option to
set the clock before it starts but at that time I had some problems
with it so I stayed with rdate.

I used to use ntp and ntpdate -B, but as I switched to openntpd I
resolved the non-RTC issue with rdate. Remember that is just the clock
of a small board, not a stratum 1 server ;-)

R.

--
richard lucassen
https://contact.xaq.nl/