:: Re: [DNG] Felker Init: was without-…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
On Thu, 21 May 2020 05:13:52 +0100
tuxd3v@??? wrote:

> Citando Steve Litt <slitt@???>:
>
> > This whole discussion balances on the definition of "shell aware".
> > What is "shell aware?"
> >
> > SteveT
> >

> Have you tried to write shell script code into the execution command
> of a systemd unit file?
> it doesn't work right?!
> Why do you think it doesn't work?

Because it's a configuration file, not a script.

> For it to work you need 2 files, ... the service unit , and also a
> shell script,

You mean the service unit and a binary executable that is the daemon,
right?

> But SysVInit only needs a script, no service unit required.. so its
> more optimized, only a file to control something..

s6 operates the same way as sysvinit, only s6 run scripts are
MUCH less complex than sysvinit init scripts.

> Why in hell would you need to create several files to control the
> same thing? Its stupid..

In s6 you don't, unless you have a finish script to define what happens
when the daemon terminates.

[snip stuff I don't understand]

> The Linux Stadard Base,
> have defines the LSB Headers, as a way to control the services..

Yeah, meaningful comments: What could *possibly* go wrong? With s6 and
runit, if you want runlevels (and I don't), you achieve them with
directories that can be symlinked.

> And their definition was in the same file as the daemon is..
> So we expect only 1 file..

Huh?

One other thing: Although I prefer sysvinit to systemd (by a wide
margin), I'm not against using multiple files to do something. Truth be
told, with sysvinit I'd rather they have multiple files for start,
stop, restart and the like, than the typical 100+ line behemoths
exhibited by sysvinit and OpenRC.

I have a suggestion. The Obarun distro comes stock with the s6 init,
together with some helper software called "66". I suggest you install
Obarun somewhere, and add a couple daemons of your own. You'll see
exactly what files are necessary, and exactly what the supervisor part
of s6 does, and you can let us all know.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist