:: Re: [DNG] Felker Init: was without-…
Author: tuxd3v
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
I believe I didn't expressed myself well, and so was badly understood..

Citando Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

> On Sat, 16 May 2020 22:04:51 +0100
> tuxd3v@??? wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Citando Steve Litt <slitt@???>:
>>
>> It's such a shame. Runit and s6 were both there, waiting to be
>> picked up and used. Both were 10 times easier than sysvinit. But
>> noooooooo.
>>
>> All init systems that want to be taken seriously, need to accept also
>> the system language..
>>
>> As I understand, and was also recognized by s6 creator at devuan
>> conference, s6 *cannot* run a script made in shell script( the
>> systems language.. )
>
> Yes it can. I've created s6 run scripts programmed in /bin/sh.
>
> Laurent Bercot *discourages* using /bin/sh in favor of the execline
> language (http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/execline.htm), but s6
> run scripts can be created in almost any language, including /bin/sh.
>> Maybe you think at it like been a superfluous thing,
>
> Not at all: I'd consider it almost a showstopper. Fortunately, s6
> enables you to program run scripts (and finish scripts) in /bin/sh.

Anything can fork&exec what is given..

The problem is that this init systems are not shell aware.
yes they can fork and exec a shell script, but does the service files
or daemon files are shell based?
No they are not, they are in a intermediate language that for example
in systemd, is not even Turing Feature complete( I am speaking about
the unit files language )..

I don't know much about systemd, or s6 to be honest, only a bit..
But the s6 creator told in the devuan conference that s6 is not shell
aware, and I believe he told, there is not simple way to turn it shell
aware..
The question was put by KatolaZ, at the last Devuan conference..
If you have a chance look at the video of the devuan conference..
The s6 creator was there invited..

Best Regards,
tux