:: [devuan-dev] bug#444: openrc: /sbin…
Author: Ryutaroh Matsumoto
To: 444
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#444: openrc: /sbin/openrc-init does not allow any login
Control: severity -1 normal
Control: retitle -1 /etc/init.d/agetty is excluded from the package

> (3) One can choose /sbin/openrc-init as PID 1 by adding init=/sbin/openrc-init to
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub, then running update-grub.
> After rebooting, there is no login prompt on any virtual ttys!!!
> "man openrc-init" says
>      openrc-init doesn't manage getty's directly, so you will need to manage them another way. For example, you can use the
>      agetty service script as described in agetty-guide.md in this distribution.
> Hmm... but there is no "agetty" package in Devuan.
> I hope there exists some more friendly document on how to enable login prompts
> by openrc-init in the Devuan Beowulf...

My above report of bug 444 was inaccurate, sorry for that.

(4) /sbin/agetty is included in Devuan Beowulf.
(5) /usr/share/doc/openrc/agetty-guide.md in Devuan Beowulf says:

**********
The agetty service is an OpenRC specific way to monitor and respawn a getty, using agetty, on Linux. To use this method, make sure you aren't spawning a getty manager for this port some other way (such as through sysvinit/inittab), then run the following commands as root.

Note that [port] refers to the port you are spawning the getty on, for example, tty1 or ttyS0. The full path to it, for example, /dev/tty1 should not be used.

# cd /etc/init.d
# ln -s agetty agetty.[port]
# cd /etc/conf.d
# cp agetty agetty.[port]
#rc-update add agetty.[port] [runlevel]

The problem in Devuan openrc package is that it excludes
/etc/init.d/agetty and /etc/conf.d/agetty provided at
https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/init.d/agetty.in
https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/conf.d/agetty

Users cannot follow instructions in /usr/share/doc/openrc/agetty-guide.md in Devuan Beowulf.

Best regards, Ryutaroh Matsumoto