:: Re: [devuan-dev] bug#448: devuan-pr…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] bug#448: devuan-project: runit-init should be included in "Init Freedom" page.
I know he has posted a lot of bugs. However, I think there are worthwhile points here.

On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 11:31:14AM +0900, Ryutaroh Matsumoto wrote:
> In the init freedom page for Devuan Beowulf,
> https://beta.devuan.org/os/init-freedom/
> runit is listed but it is not said that runit is also available
> in Devuan Beowulf. It should be included (unless you are going
> to remove runit-init from Beowulf).

Correct. runit was added to Debian buster and we have inherited that
support. golinx, can you add that, please?

> On the other hand, the meanings of the word "init" are very different between
> the "Init Freedom" page
> https://beta.devuan.org/os/init-freedom/
> and the Devuan Installer Beta 2
> https://beta.devuan.org/os/documentation/install-guides/beowulf/img/025initchoice.png
>
> The former means /sbin/init while the latter means NOT /sbin/init but "rc".
> The word "init" must be consistent in all parts of the Devuan project,
> in my opinion (do you agree?).

This is more difficult. 'init' means several things: /sbin/init, the init
system, init packages and the runlevel change system... Again he is right that the
installer sysvinit/openrc choice is actually sysv-rc/openrc. openrc still uses
sysvinit-core /sbin/init by default.

How can we make the language clearer going forward?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark