:: Re: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes: 202…
Author: Mason Loring Bliss
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes: 2020-04-30
# Devuan meet 2020-04-30 20:30 UTC

Present: golinux, onefang, plasma41, leepen, bgstack15, fsmithred, rrq,
metayan
Absent: mason

## Old Business
* (plasma41, fsmithred) Release notes status?
* (fsmithred) New live isos with apparmor fix? Will do.

## Old Actions
* (mason) TWiki still in progress, waylaid by personal IT but still
slogging along.
* (golinux) No response from jaromil. I suggest that those wanting to
migrate email contact jaromil directly. More at the meet and perhaps
after, again.

## New Business

### golinux
* Website frustration. Fixed the html to keep the 2 green buttons in the
nav bar together and also the png in front of the "h1". Files here:
https://transfersh.com/XemU4/sticky-bar.zip Have tried to get the css
and image into the beta site but neither the new css nor new square
png is getting picked up. Like beer, I surrender. Someone will either
step forward to untangle it or not. That's not going to be me.

### LeePen
* Started new packaging guide. Current draft at
https://git.devuan.org/devuan-doc/documentation/tree/wip/new-packaging-guide/maintainers.
I would appreciate review and comment. We need to resolve duplicate
old documentation at https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-maintainers
which is archived, but still viewable.
* Automatic closing of bugs on upload to DAK ready for testing.
* Been testing new [Jenkins unified package
builder](https://jenkins.devuan.dev/job/devuan-package-builder/) in
parallel with conventional builds. Generally working well.
* Bug [#435](https://bugs.devuan.org/435). Techniques for self building
Debian sources depending on libsystemd-dev need documenting. Where?
Also in Release Notes?
* Evilham and onefang are discussing deb.devuan.org DNS and using
panopticon script to manage mirror inclusion in the round-robin.

#### Beowulf
* Updated choose-mirror: now behaves as agreed last week
* Rebuilt mini.isos and debian-installer

#### Ceres/Chimaera
* Updated openvpn, elogind
* Worked on devuan-lintian-profile to remove unnecessary errors. Waiting
for review and approval from Centurion_Dan.
* LTSP is still wip.

### Bgstack15
* Closed [#432](http://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=432)
lightdm: orca is silent as "couldn't register with accessibility bus".
First package submission and bugfix by this user.

### plasma41
* Some (but fewer) languages still missing glyphs in the language
selection screen in the installer for beta2: Chinese (both Simplified
and Traditional), Georgian, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, and Lao. The
glyphs for Kazakh and Tajik that where missing from beta1 are present
in beta2.
* In d-i on both betas so far after the partitioning step, Devuan runs
the "Configuring console-setup" step (for selecting the character
encoding for the console: UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP1251, etc.). Debian
does not run this step at all, but instead runs the scan CD step
directly following the partitioning step.

### onefang
* apt-panopticon has been working reasonabely well. Evilham had the
idea of using it's results to automatically drive the DNS-RR, who is
in and who is out, tested every X minutes. Since the mirrors list has
the mirrors country listed, we could also use this to drive
CC.deb.devuan.org domains.
* rrq told me we will need Jaromil's help to sort out the name server
side of things. I'll work on adding the "in or out" indicator to
apt-panopticon. Then we need te meet in the middle to get the
apt-panopticon decisions to the name server.
* I'd want to use a voting system, three servers running apt-panopticon,
that send their votes to the name server tweaking backend, majority
wins. We have two at the moment, my sledjhamr.org and rrq's borta.
This is why rrq was asking about a new server node.
* So I'll work on the apt-panopticon decision making side, others can
work on the changing DNS side.
* The goal is that the deb.devuan.org address will always point to the
currently best mirrors, for a smooth user experience.

## New Actions
* (mason) Pre-emptive ISO-8601 date formatting for pad, meeting
  announcements
  * Q for plasma41: Do you want to keep posting meeting notes
    afterwards? I'm fine with that if you do.
    * (plasma41): If you would like to take over the posting of the
      notes to the list, that's fine with me.
* Will send letter to jaromil advising of transitions in devuan

--
Mason Loring Bliss   ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@???     ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped