:: Re: [DNG] waagent
Author: g4sra
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] waagent
On 29/04/2020 15:28, Peter Duffy wrote:
> (Apologies if I've posted this to the wrong list - shall I repost it to
> the devuan-dev list?)
>
> On Wed, 2020-04-29 at 15:21 +0100, Peter Duffy wrote:
>> I'm currently setting up a virtualbox image based on Devuan ASCII, for
>> eventual upload to azure as a base image for creating VMs.
>>
>> I've hit some problems with the waagent package in the Devuan
>> repositories - basically they boil down to:
>>
>> 1) the python function platform.linux_distribution() returns "debian"
>> instead of "devuan"

Annoying, but a necessary fudge if my memory is correct...
But even this fudge does not work in all cases.

$lsb_release -a

Distributor ID:    Debian
Release:    3
Codename:    beowulf

Can cause problems for any software parsing 'Debian' which then goes on to
parse the 'Release' and expects 8.0 or 9.0....

>> 2) waagent loads an instance of the class osutil which contain a set of
>> method overrides specific to a particular distro/release. However, it
>> doesn't have one for Devuan, so this, combined with (1) causes it to
>> load an osutil instance for debian, and this means that it expects
>> systemd functionality to be present.

This is the real bug.

It should not assume SystemD for Debian or any other Distro by name,
it should explicitly check the init system in use.

After all, Debian Devs have stated that Debian is 'other init system friendly'
so they have no grounds for rejecting a patch on that score.