:: Re: [DNG] Beowulf Beta is here!
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Beowulf Beta is here!
Le 28/04/2020 à 17:05, aitor a écrit :
>     I guess the policy in Debian is to install network-manager and not
> ifupdown. I don't know what ifupdown2 does;it is incompatible with
> ifplugd. Maybe it is able to detect by itself that an Ethernet cable
> is connected.
>
> I'm not pretty sure at this point. Maybe ifplugd breaks with ifupdown2
> due to its dependency on ifupdown, being this second one more veteran
> than the first one. I have no arguments to affirm wether ifplugd works
> or not with ifupdown2 because the debian/control file doesn't allow
> this blend. Maybe defining something like "Depends: ifupdown |
> ifupdown2, ...", in the same way than the ifupdown packaging allows to
> use different dhcp clients...
>
> Aitor.

    Hi Aitor.

    According to https://cumulusnetworks.com/blog/ifupdown2/ ,
ifupdown2 has been developped to replace ifupdown in switches, in which
the configuration can be pretty complicated with dependency chains
between physical and logical interfaces such as bridges. IIUC, it is
supposed to allow dynamic changes of the configuration without needing
to stop/start the interfaces. They claim it is backward-compatible with
ifupdown. I guess it allows to do complicated things but I also guess it
requires some serious learning. It does not seem fitted for a laptop or
a simple server. We know that ifupdown cannot achieve all imaginable
configurations, but it is a relatively simple tool usable in most usual
configurations.

        Didier