:: [DNG] dodgy upgrade [was Re: Beowul…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] dodgy upgrade [was Re: Beowulf Beta is here!]
    Hi.

    Yesterday I upgraded from Ascii to Beowulf a Toshiba laptop with
Intel Celeron cpus.

    apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

    change repos to Beowulf

    apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

    dist-upgrade failed mid way or so with the suggestion to run apt
install --fix-broken

    This did the rest of the upgrade, leaving a few problems:

    - cups wasn't installed but a bunch of cups-foo-bar packages were.

     When I tried to install cups, apt-get insisted to install
cups:i386, which I didn't want of course. I had to remove 3 packages
with i386 architecture and remove the foreign architecture to be able to
install cups. apt-get removed the bunch of cups-foo-bar packages and
installed others; it finds its way in the tangle of dependencies (~:

    - gksudo, while still there, doesn't work, as already announced. I
did my sudo trick and I can now run synaptic.

    - The interfaces file still causes a 30s delay in startup. Since I
have ifplugd installed, the clause "allow-hotplug eth0" is useless. I
removed it and the problem was gone.

    - Many packages to remove and possibly re-install to get a clean
setup, as usual.

    I've checked that Slim and xfce-4 work fine, as well as Palemoon,
Emacs-26 and xfce4-terminal

    Kudos for this good work!

        Didier