:: Re: [DNG] What to do with an inode?
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What to do with an inode?
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 03:18:45PM +0000, aitor_czr wrote:
>>
>> $ ls --inode --directory "/"
>>
>> 2 /
>
> Is there anything I can do with an inode except check file identity within
> a filesystem?

You can use it as a search condition for find using '-inum n'
Other than that, my quick search suggested there aren't any useful things you can do with it - or at least nothing that's not easier to do by just looking up a name for it and working with a normal directory entry.

I did see some search results related to file with no directory entry, but the inode staying in existence due to the file being open. As in, "I want to create a directory entry pointing to a specific inode to rescue the file so it doesn't disappear when closed". I didn't actually look at any of these though.

Simon