:: Re: [devuan-dev] [DNG] Beowulf Beta…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] [DNG] Beowulf Beta is here!
golinux@??? wrote on 2020-03-23 03:57:
> On 2020-03-22 06:35, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>>
>> The server ISO worked fine for an air-gapped install on non-UEFI
>> hardware. I expect it to fail installing GRUB on UEFI hardware because
>> the grub-efi-amd64 package (and its dependencies?) are not included.
>>
>> I have since stumbled across
>>
>> 1. The *_netinstall.iso (~300 M) installs a minimal base system then
>> downloads additional packages from the Devuan repositories during the
>> installation process. Not to be used for offline installs.
>>
>> in the Devuan Beowulf Install Guide[1]. I guess the guide is serious
>> about the netinstall image *not* to be used for offline installs.
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://beta.devuan.org/os/documentation/install-guides/beowulf/install-devuan
>>
>> Fair enough but it deviates from, oh, a decade or so of previous
>> experience with Debian and Devuan netinst ISO image. There was some
>> mention in the Devuan meeting notes for 2020-03-19 (cannot find it in
>> the devuan-dev ML archives yet) about perhaps "rectifying" this.
>>
>> Keeping finger crossed ;-)
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>

> The advice not to use the netinstall for offline installs is because
> issues were reported that the result of such an install was incomplete
> and not fully functional functional. When they are tracked down and
> corrected, that warning will be removed. This is a BETA and finding
> problems like that is the whole point, isn't it? ;)

Yes, I made the netinstall solely for network based installation, but with
complete on-media installation software, which is primarily how it differs from
mini.iso. Whe expanded to also carry a dependency-complete pool for a "minimal"
installation, it ends up almost CD size, and I thought one may as well use the
server (aka cd1) ISO instead.

Obviously this (lack of) thought of mine isn't well aligned with community
expectation. Hopefully I've learnt better for the next drop.

Ralph.