:: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Ma…
Author: Plasma
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Mar. 05, 2020
And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes for
Thursday, March 5th, 2020.

plasma41

# Devuan meet March 05, 2020 @20:30 UTC

Pad is here:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/SB7zup-6+aXOfEislcnU43Xh/

Meet here: https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
   * Please post notes prior to the meet.
   * Please add your name as 'Present' below when you get to the
     meet.
   * When adding a comment in someone else's notes, please
     pre-pend your name like this: (whoever) whatever . . .

Present: plasma41, RickMoen, golinux, Leepen, rrq, kramer, fsr

## Old Business

## Old Actions
- iso-docs and install guides for the web site completed.
  - (gl) Not quite. Chillfan this morning sent 2 minor edits that will
    be at
https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/devuan-installer-iso/tree/master/docs
and on the beta site later today.

## New Business

### rrq
- off at a few days holiday (again).. hoping to be at the meeting
first though.
- also waiting on beowulf release notes for building the (final)
beowulf 3.0.0 installer isos. (No pressure; I can't contribute
until next week)

### LeePen

#### Naming of beowulf security
[igs](https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3353) ran into a problem
with security updates not being installed automatically. He has
Default-release manually set to beowulf.

Security updates work fine without Default-release being set. I am not
convinced the setting is required in his usage.

However, we do differ from Debian in naming security
``<codename>-security`` rather than just ``<codename>``.

fsmithred made the point that Debian uses a different URL hostname for
security packages.

- Do we want to change this (it is set in amprolla)?
- If we do, I suspect apt-secure (and lots of users) will complain.

#### SMTP for bugs.d.o
Should we ask dyne to relax the requirement for a valid HELO for emails
to submit@???? Then everybody could use mx.devuan.org in reportbug
(See [here](https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3354)).

In February Evilham was starting to talk about setting up our own SMTP
server(s) which would make this easier to implement and control.

### golinux
- doing a massive rewrite of devuan.org on the beta branch. It is mostly
in place now. Just a few things to fix:
- https://beta.devuan.org/

- Nav bar is now in place.

- Which option would best describe the page covering packages,
repositories, sources.list in the nav bar? These are the possible
lineups. Please place an "x" after your choice:
- Install | Packages xxx | Develop | Community | Explore
- Install | Repositories x | Develop | Community | Explore
- Install | Sources | Develop | Community | Explore

- Should the video at the top of this page be removed? IMO we need to
move on except for the historical announcement of the fork on DNG:
https://beta.devuan.org/os/debian-fork NUKE IT! Done.
- (fsr) yes, I think the video should be removed.

- Regarding the breadcrumbs under the main logo on the pages . . . do
they serve a purpose? I'm not seeing it. Should they stay or go? I
would love to simplify, Bye-bye

### fsmithred

#### Questions about Release Notes (updating ascii release notes)
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/FEOS-VBadm1SaUBFyiw-wJJ-/

Is this still accurate?
- About eudev
Following the inclusion of udev (a daemon in charge of device
management) in the systemd code tree, Devuan 3 Beowulf provides the
alternative "eudev" package. The transition from udev to eudev is
managed through transitional packages, and should be automatic and
seamless.

- Session management and policykit backends
Do all the desktops default to elogind now?

- Reporting bugs
Is this section still accurate?

  (LeePen) (x means fsr did it)
x - I think the Origin change was for ascii and doesn't need repeating.
x - I didn't think we were recommending {CC}.deb.devuan.org [line 185]?
    - (gl) We aren't. That recommendation has been removed from all
      documentation and the installer
x - Session managers and policykit:
    - I think we should use libpam-elogind or logind in the
      documentation as the required package name; elogind alone doesn't
      really do anything. logind is the virtual package provided by
      libpam-elogind.
    - APT seems to choose logind by default.
    - Both slim and lightdm now work with either logind or consolekit.
      slim is the default for xfce, lightdm otherwise
    - Xfce and Cinnamon also work with either logind or consolekit.
    - All the others are logind only.

  - Reportbug: I think mx.devuan.org will accept mail for bugs.d.o
    provided your IP address is reverse resolvable
    ([See here](https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3354)).
  - Can you update the bugs.d.o links to the cgi versions?
  - Ask people to check Debian BTS for known problems with unforked
    packages?

### kramer
- lazy at building arm images
- was on a openQA workshop
- https://open.qa/
- https://github.com/os-autoinst
- redesign arm-sdk

### plasma41
- A reminder to Devuan people in the US: Daylight Savings Time begins
this weekend, so starting next week the meeting will begin an hour
later.
- I have all next week off from work. I plan to spend a good portion of
my time working of Devuan. Let's get Beowulf out the door!

## New Actions