:: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed?
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed?
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 02:09:37PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 03/03/2020 à 23:37, tekHedd a écrit :
> >
> > So, I would consider rewriting polkit and dbus from scratch.
> >
> > Also, who has time to rewrite polkit and dbus from scratch?

What are the actual requirements for a dbus-like system? Requirements
that would allow a completely different design?

> > * dbus probably not salvageable, also deeply integrated into every
> > possible program; consider dbus compatibility shim D:
>     By definition, a shim preserves the API, and I consider the problem of
> Dbus is precisely its API.

Preserving the API would not be done by the new system; the shim is to
allow old software to continue running until it was rewritten.

(And yes, I know there's nothing so permanent as a temporary building.)

-- hendrik