:: Re: [DNG] Which DE?
Author: Dimitris
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which DE?
On 2/25/20 10:07 PM, viverna wrote:
> LXDE is ancestor of LXQt. However is a wonderful DE mostly with openbox
> combination. Openbox is great even alone.

MATE with Openbox is a lighter possibility too..
i've been changing DEs, DMs regurarly, but always find myself going back
to MATE. (lately i've tried enlightement... works well - a bit buggy)
most DEs are either buggy or feautureless. (will NOT try GNOME/KDE, i
kinda of think of those as systemd-like DEs, bloated to the bone.).

other than that, i'd say MATE covers most needed desktop features, and
XFCE comes shortly after..
LXDE is not abandoned, but it's missing stuff that you have to get from
other DEs (=download extra libs, packages..), same as LXQT which is very
interesting..
Trinity was very buggy last 2 times i tried it, completely unusable for
me.. (even though my first ever DE was kde3 and i wanted it to work for
old times sake... :D )

back to MATE, it now (versions > 1.24) offers official no-systemd
support for mate-session, so it's certainly a positive attitude, other
modern DEs lack..

just 2c,
d.