:: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed? dro…
Author: Tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed? dropin replacement

On 2/23/20 12:34 PM, Aitor wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On 21/2/20 21:57, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Will it work even if I'm not using lxqt? Does it stand alone?
>>
>> SteveT
> I've just started developing a replacement for gksu in gtk2 following the same method used in simple-netaid,
> that is: a suid binary receiving the password through an unix socket, and the name of the application
> to be run as an argument in the command line. Since i'm not that expert on security stuff, maybe i'll
> restrict this tool only to a few graphical applications like synaptic, bleachbit, gparted, thunar, pcmanfm...
> Any suggestion for the name of this alternative? What about gkexec?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aitor.

Hi,

please don't restrict it, make it a universally usable tool.
Why using a socket maybe KISS?
For inspiration you can take a look at:
https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/loginutils/su.c
this is tested and widely used code.
If you will use C as programming language and you any need help
drop a line.

Ciao,
Tito

BTW: it would be nice if this tool could be compiled
      with gtk2 or gtk3 this would allow more widespread
      adoption.