:: Re: [DNG] Help needed:[Fwd: eudev: …
Author: aitor
To: svante.signell, Devuan dng ml
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed:[Fwd: eudev: Methods to detect if running in a container.]

Hi Svante,

En 19 de febrero de 2020 16:16:39 Svante Signell via Dng
<dng@???> escribió:

> Hello,
>

> No replies so far from the devuan-dev list. Maybe with a larger audience I can
> get some help!
>

> Thanks!
>

> ----------
> eudev: Methods to detect if running in a container.
> De: Svante Signell svante.signell@???
> Fecha: 18 feb., 12:24
> Para: devuan-dev devuan-dev@???
>

> Hello,
>

> I'm trying to solve the problem of detecting if you are within a container,
> like
> docker or LXC when running the eudev init script. If true udevd should not be
> cstarted. The current version of eudev (3.2.9-4) has a buggy check for
> containers, and people running runit as init have problems, see #392.
>

> eudev-3.2.7-6 has the following test:
> if ! ps --no-headers --format args ax | egrep -q '^\['; then
> log_warning_msg "udev does not support containers, not started"
> exit 0
> fi
> I don't know the origin of this test and have not found anything about the
> output within a container.
>

> udev-244-3 has the following test:
> if [ ! -w /sys ]; then
> log_warning_msg "udev does not support containers, not started"
> exit 0
> fi
> This test is buggy since /sys is a directory not a file and /sys is always
> writable when running. Any command triggers this test:
> /etc/init.d/udev status
> udev does not support containers, not started ... (warning).
>

> Googling around the following tests shows:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20010199/how-to-determine-if-a-process-runs-inside-lxc-docker
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23513045/how-to-check-if-a-process-is-running-inside-docker-container
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_(software)
>

> 1) cat /proc/1/sched | head -n 1
> # Container: bash (5276, #threads: 1)
> # No container: init (1, #threads: 1)
>

> 2) grep 'docker\|lxc' /proc/1/cgroup
> Note 1: On a beowulf image it is empty??
> Note 2: On a systemd-free Debian/bullseye image it shows
> 1:name=elogind:/1
> 0::/
> Note 3: On a systemd-free Debian/buster image:
> <same as above> after removing systemd-shim and cgmanager
>

> 3) cat /proc/1/environ | tr '\0' '\n' | grep ^container
>

> Any help on this subject is appreciated, especially the output of the above
> tests when running in a container.
>

> Thanks!

The short answer from my mobile: maybe i can help you later at home,
because i remember some similar issue related with the chroot jail of the
live-sdk (another type of container after all) and the dev-assistant of the
vdev packaging.

Cheers,

Aitor.