:: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed?
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed?
Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):

> AFAIR sudo does not transmit the X session. I heard years ago
> of something called sudox. Dunno if it is available somewhere. I
> dislike pkexec [...]

You're a man of wise instincts, Didier. ;->

Here's a Linuxmafia.com Knowledgebase article I try to bring up to date
every couple of years:

'Root w/X11' on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Security/
(direct link http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Security/root-with-x11.html).

I'm _personally_ a long-term fan of the first option mentioned which is:

"ssh -Y root@localhost" (requires local sshd)

There are good marketing reasons that desktop-oriented Linux distributions
don't even consider recommending that to the masses, but that doesn't
make any difference to my own solution-finding processes, and it's a
nicely Unix-ey solution to the problem posed.

Distros might do well to look at some of the other options I list, such
as ktsuss ("keep the su simple, stupid").