:: Re: [DNG] buster to beowulf
Author: Mason Loring Bliss
To: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] buster to beowulf
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 06:45:44PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Is there a draft of the instructions from buster to beowulf? A draft I could
> maybe help debug by following it?

This is stolen from the forums and modified slightly. Most of the wording is
taken directly from the post, but I've added details so I can find everything
in one spot. Taken from https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3044

Short version:
- boot buster, install sysvinit-core

download and install devuan-keyring:

wget http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/pool/main/d/devuan-keyring/devuan-keyring_2017.10.03_all.deb
dpkg -i devuan-keyring_2017.10.03_all.deb

change sources to devuan, update, upgrade

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf main non-free contrib
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf main non-free contrib

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main non-free contrib
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main non-free contrib

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main non-free contrib
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main non-free contrib

install eudev and let it fail. This might save some time on the first reboot.

reboot and install eudev, remove or purge systemd if it doesn't get
    removed automatically. (possibly libnss-systemd also)

(optional) install libelogind0 if you want to replace libsystemd0.
      Without elogind, it's not pulling in the desktop apps.

Beware of "predictable interface naming" - depending on how you configure your
network, you might see your NIC names change.

--
Mason Loring Bliss    "An equation for me has no meaning unless it expresses
 mason@???            a thought of God." - Srinivasa Ramanujan