:: Re: [DNG] Again, again: DMARC is a…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 21:41:48 -0800
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> tl;dr: Mailman will now munge the From: address if and only if the
> sender's domain publishes a problematic DMARC policy, to substitute
> the mailing list's address for the sender's. On those mails, Mailman
> also appends a Reply-To: header pointing to the sender's real address.
> No other mails will be touched.

The preceding description describes what I see on my end. However, when
I click "Return to sender", Claws-Mail takes me literally and sends
to the munged To, which is now the mailing list. Claws does not
consult the "Reply to" when I click "Return to sender." This is my
problem.

If I click "Reply to list" it replies only to the list, which is
exactly what I want under normal situations.

If I click "Reply" or "Reply to All", it sends to the list and copies
the return address. I then have to prune off whichever address I don't
want, and if the one I want is the return address, I need to change it
from Cc to To.

So my solution is procedural. I removed my "Reply to Sender" button,
because in the age of DKIM it does just what I don't want, even if it's
literally correct. Now, whenever I want to email somebody offlist, I'll:

1) Click Reply to all
2) Delete the mailing list address
3) Change the Cc to To

The point is, if I see two addresses up there, I'll understand there's
danger and delete the dng one.

So, although I have the same opinion of DKIM that I've always had, my
procedural workaround means I won't need to ask anyone else for help.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21