:: Re: [DNG] Again, again: DMARC is a…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 18:19:10 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 19:12:21 -0800
> Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
> >
> > > Seriously, this DMARC thing, or at least the way it's implemented
> > > on DNG, is downright dangerous.

> > Seriously, at the time this came up, I worked really hard,
> > tirelessly, and thanklessly, and repeatedly, to explain that Dng
> > was caught in a dilemma created by a mailing-list-hostile
> > anti-forgery standard, a well-intentioned but (in my opinion) badly
> > written piece of ancillary plumbing for SMTP and DNS. I carefully,
> > painstakingly qualified what I said, and dealt with the inevitable
> > people who wanted to argue merely because I expressed a viewpoint,
> > who wanted in knee-jerk fashion to dismiss what I said as yet
> > another subvariety of SMTP crankery, or who were the inevitable
> > sort of edge-case fanatics who lurk on all technical mailing lists.
> >
> > I described how the architecture of DMARC left _all_ the mailing
> > lists in the world in a no-win situation. I detailed how the GNU
> > Mailman people had built into recent releases two separate choice of
> > ways to try to mitigate the DMARC disaster. I detailed why I
> > strongly recommended one of those mitigations strongly over the
> > other. I very carefully disclosed the disadvantages, stressing that
> > there would be some unavoidable problems resulting from the
> > preferred mitigation's operation any time the mailing list poster
> > is sending from a domain with a strongly asserted DMARC policy.
> >
> > I tirelessly repeated these explanations over a span of months, as
> > the Dyne principal volunteers came to grips with the problem and
> > parsed what I and others were saying.
> >
> > And, after a whole lot of my attempting to explain, and explain
> > again, and explain again, and deal with arguments and knee-jerk
> > naysaying, the Dyne principals accepted my recommendation as the
> > least-bad course of action, and implemented the better of the two
> > mitigations.
> >
> > Which brings us to the present.
> >

> > > Let me repeat: "Reply to sender" should never, ever go to the
> > > list.
> >
> > What part of 'some unavoidable problems resulting from the preferred
> > mitigation's operation any time the mailing list poster is sending
> > from a domain with a strongly asserted DMARC policy' was unclear?
> >
> > > Did you know that for some but not all DNG email, "reply to
> > > sender" sends it to the list?

> > Did you know that most senders don't suffer the malign effects of
> > strong-asserted DMARC policies in their domains' DNS? I've only
> > explained that on Dng a few dozen times. Probably it didn't sink
> > in.
> >

> > You're making me sorrowful, my friend. I am feeling as if all of my
> > efforts to make the no-win nature of the situation, and my
> > mentioning in _particular_ the great irony of my appearing to
> > recommend (a very limited form of) Reply-To munging, after a
> > quarter-century of trying to calmly document for the Internet why
> > it's a bad idea, was time wasted.

> [...]

So, if we insist on assisting Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, and their ilk, and
all their users, by incorporating DMARC at all, we could at least
change the munge string from:

Firstname Lastname via Dng <dng@???>

to:

GOES TO DNG (IRT Firstname Lastname)<dng@???>

So when you do "return to sender" and it crazily puts
dng@??? in the To field, at least that To field won't be
disguised as the user. As far as I know, this requires next to no admin
work: It's just a change assembling one string.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21