:: Re: [DNG] frozen messages from dng-…
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] frozen messages from dng-bounces
On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 07:55:27AM +1100, terryc wrote:
> Just my 2c.
>
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 07:51:40 -0500
> Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:
>
> > I periodically get frozen messages alerts from dng-bounces. Sometimes
> > several in a day; sometimes every few days. The time of the message
> > is random.
>
> That corresponds with the frequency of messages to the list.

Are you saying the frequency corresponds to messages subscribers send
to the list? It does not correspond to my own messages to the list.

> > I'm runing beowulf. Here is an example
> >
> > > Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 13:48:21 -0500
> > > From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@???>
> > > To: postmaster@???: "Dng"
> > > <dng-bounces@???> Subject: Message frozen
> > >
> > > Message 1igYwF-0002qx-Da has been frozen (delivery error message).
> > > The sender is <>.
> > >
> > > The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> > > dng-bounces@???: SMTP error from remote mail server
> > > after
> > > pipelined
> > > +MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=5953: 554 5.7.1 Empty Sender Address is
> > > prohibited
> > > through this server
> >
> > Is my mailer telling me it has frozen a message from dng-bounces
> > because its FROM: field is empty?
>
> Correct. what mailer are you running and what setting are you using
> to cull empty sender messages.

I'm using mutt. In .muttrc I do not have anything that seems to cull
empty sender messages. I do specify what header fields to use:

> ignore *
> unignore from: subject to cc date x-mailer x-url user-agent

To detect loops I have:

> unset bounce_delivered
> set mixmaster="mixmaster-filter"

> >Why is dng-bounces sending me messages?

> Probably because all messages I receive from the lists have
> Sender: "Dng" <dng-bounces@???>
> as the sender.

Aha!

> So, in summary, it is a setting in your mailer that creates the error
> messages. As a guess you need to relax a time parameter in that your
> mailer is closing receipt of header too quickly or the link is dropping
> out.

In .mailrc I have:

> set time_inc=250

I'll try 500 ms so see how things go.