:: Re: [DNG] Conversion script: was Fo…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Conversion script: was Formail for managing digests
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 10:13:01 +0100
Edward Bartolo via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Inits need to understand unit files, give them that functionality.
> That is far more efficient compared to what you are doing.
>
> Pseudo Code:
> 1) check for the presence of a unit file
> 2) if it exists
> a) branch to function to read unit file and run daemon
> b) if NOT execute shell script to run daemon
>
> Programming allows to create a configuration text file which tells an
> init to be aware of the existence of unit files. This can be used to
> minimize the incidence of bugs for cases where no unit files are used.
> The extra functionality can be debugged in separate functions.

IMHO the preceding is complexity you don't need, at least if I read you
correctly and you're suggesting non-systemd inits process Unit Files at
boot time. The startup files, be they init scripts, run scripts or
Epoch .conf files, can be done offline using a conversion plus testing
and touchup, and then used at boot time.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21