:: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan mee…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Nov. 28, 2019
On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 11:04:56AM +0100, Denis Roio wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2019, Mark Hindley wrote:
> > Do you know why dak was originally chosen over reprepro?
>
> as far as I recall, it was chosen without any esplicit reason, then
> complained about all the time.
>
> I'm digging into our communication now, the relevant bit I found is
> from this list Nextime once said, pardon the french: "dak is a piece
> of shit." ID: 20160404043912.GA25462@???
>
> CenturionDan responded:
> "
> Then we continue to work to get rid of Dak ;-) I've found the
> documentation of it in Debian so I should be able to work that piece of
> shit out. ;-)
> "
>
> there are more or less recent emails about how dak was always a
> problem, needed modifications that were barely tracked on our git and
> in general the component resembled like a GNU excrement :^D

Thanks. That is helpful.

I have got it working in the new build pipeline for now. And I am reluctant to
hold that now as we are about to migrate and it would further delay beowulf.
But I will start to look into changing to reprepro for when we have beowulf
done.

Although, one caveat is that I was also thinking of implementing britney2 to
automate unstable -> testing transitions for beowulf+1 and I think britney is
dak only.

Mark