:: Re: [DNG] Conversion script: was Fo…
Author: Denis Roio
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Conversion script: was Formail for managing digests
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 07:21:54PM +0100, Massimo Coppola wrote:
>

> > If (assuming that) we are going to lose the source of init scripts
> > upstream, then it's the only way forward. (For those who consider
> > recognizing the unit files as a valid source a defeat: I may agree
> > with you, but sometimes a strategic retreat can lead to victory).
>
> If we are worried about losing init scripts upstream, I suggest we
> maintain a version-controlled collection if initscripts somewhere so
> that if one disappears from a package we can restore it.

This is what I'm really unsure of, so far. Every time I tried to
debate this with someone knowing Debian better than I do, we ended in
disagreement.

My opinion however is this: maintaining a *unique package* of version
controlled init scripts in Devuan is much, much easier than
maintaining a sysvinit script in each different package, forking it.

I'm not sure about pressing counter-arguments against this.

ciao