:: Re: [DNG] Affero: was - Init Freedo…
Author: viverna
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Affero: was - Init Freedom inJector (was: cannot exist without the help of Debian)
il devuanizzato Steve Litt <slitt@???> il 25-11-19 02:59:04 ha scritto:
>On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:54:31 +0000 (UTC)
>Alexis PM via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>

>> GNU AGPL version 3 is the best.
>
>Because? ...
>
>I'd like to see your list of benefits vs disadvantages.
>
>If I used an Affero program as a part of my for-profit website, would I
>be requires to provide the entirety of my website code to all comers,
>thereby creating competitors who are not in debt for the research and
>development I used to create it? Would I need to consult a $400/hr
>lawyer to answer this question? Would an Affero license put a chilling
>effect on using its code to make money, and if so, would your job be
>one of the victims?
>
>I know that the same arguments could be made about GPL2's copyleft
>facilities, but not to the same degree.

For me GPL is a BSD license on the network. AGPL is a GPL license on the
network. Now any program can be used online and not distributed.

Normally I use AGPL 3.0 for all my personal project because:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.en.html

I could make Devuan modified public repositories, modify the script and
not released it. I could add malware, and other crap or simply useful
extra features. This is obviously not the case!
But if the script is GPL is correct, but with AGPL license I must
release the script.
Substitute "I" with "multinational corporation".
That's why AGPL is important.

However this is a simple script and I don't want to pass for
megalomaniac then... (read below)

>If I init my for-profit web-server using a series of Affero-licensed
>daemon startup files, do I then need to supply my web code to those who
>request it? Are you sure?

"Both the ordinary GNU GPL, version 3, and the GNU Affero GPL have text
allowing you to link together modules under these two licenses in one
program."
The IFJ script might be released with AGPL3, but init script with GPL
or Apache or public domain.
In this case I believe the answer to your questions is NO.
If you use a init script injected in the package (no AGPL) you don't
have to publish anything.
But if you use the script, modify it for alter package (maybe improving
the code) and make repo with altered package for others, you must
publish the code. And it seems right to me.

--
 _________
< Viverna >
 ---------
       \                    ^    /^
        \                  / \  // \
         \   |\___/|      /   \//  .\
          \  /0  0  \__  /    //  | \ \           *----*
            /     /  \/_/    //   |  \  \          \   |
            @_^_@`/   \/_   //    |   \   \         \/\ \