:: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan mee…
Author: golinux
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Nov. 06, 2019
On 2019-11-08 05:19, g4sra wrote:
> On 08/11/2019 05:55, Plasma wrote:
>> And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes for
>> Wednesday, November 6th, 2019.
>>
> -- [snip] --
>> ### golinux
>> - Very few arm images have been forthcoming. I have been hanging on
>> the
>> arm channel. There is tinkering but no focus at all on the point
>> release. It has been discussed before that we drop arm images and
>> encourage users to build their own with the SDK. Doing that would
>> accelerate the Beowulf release. This advice from yeti:
>> - ditch all arm images
>> - they are a mess since pre1.0 days
>> - I'm very unhappy about this but its better than keeping them
>> - only some tinkerers can use them
> Don't kid yourselves that Linux Newbies are going to come to Devuan
> in their droves and need their hands held. It is those 'in the know'
> that Devuan appeals to.
>
>> - they are not enduser-ready
>> - they never have been
>> - images without kernel updates are not enduser ready
>
> I wholeheartedly disagree with those last three statements.
> Single use (embedded) ARM systems outnumber all others in multiples..
> How often do you upgrade the kernel on your TV, IPCam, Android or IOS
> phone during its lifetime ?
>
> There are only two legitimate reasons to upgrade the kernel (on any
> system):
> 1) To fix a CVE that is *actually exploitable* on the device.
> 2) To provide a new feature that has become a must have.
>

> Everybody, get your head out of thinking you know what Users want, you
> don't.
> Not everybody cares about AWS Cloud, Enterpise Servers, Desktop
> Workstations,
> XBMC Media boxes, portable USB Flash OSes....for Devuan to survive you
> need
> to provide choice to fit the Users purpose.
>

> The main reason I found and now use Devuan is because of a Google
> search
> (because SystemD is inappropriate for single use systems) hitting those
> ARM images.
>
> Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
>

>>   - I'd love to have the same OS on my PCs and ARMish boards
>>   - but it didnt work out for too long now
>>   - xcept for the 2 cubies which were transgraded from debian9 and so
>>     have inherited debians kernel update way

>> - And there you have it. Let's move on . . .
>>
>> ### plasma
>> - Both of the Raspberry Pi 1 & 2 images made by danielinux on
>> 2019-10-19
>> pass a basic "boot and ping an internet server" test
>>

>> ## New Actions
>> - We will drop official support for arm images
>>
>> - Send formal announcement of the 2.1 release including to announce
>> list
>>
>> - Create post on forum where DIY arm images can be posted and
>> encourage
>> users to build their own with SDK.
> [...]

You don't seem to understand that if no one is building arm images, we
cannot offer them. We are just trying to remove the blocker to a
"complete" ASCII point release and a rollout of Beowulf. Currently
there are very few volunteers producing arm images and even fewer
testers. Taking the production of images directly to the greater
community will hopefully encourage more participation. As images are
created and vetted, they will be available by torrent. But we cannot
continue to hold up Devuan releases for components that are not being
produced. If you would like to change that, roll up your sleeves and
start building images.

Disclaimer: I do not own nor have ever touched an arm device. Neither
have I ever dl anything from a torrent so I have no skin in this game.

golinux