:: [DNG] how to investigate constant o…
Author: Stefan Krusche
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] how to investigate constant outgoing ARP traffic - TX: ~7K/s
Good day everyone,

since recently I noticed a very constant outgoing ARP traffic
on my machine (desktop, Devuan ascii) of about 7K/s which I
don't think was there before.

jnettop shows this:
LOCAL <-> REMOTE                                              TXBPS   RXBPS TOTALBPS
 (IP)                          PORT  PROTO  (IP)      PORT       TX      RX    TOTAL
UNKNOWNv4 <-> UNKNOWNv4                                     8.12K/s    0b/s  8.12K/s
 0.0.0.0                          0    ARP  0.0.0.0      0     149K      0b     149K

arp cache shows this which is the standard gateway of my ISP:
$ arp -n
Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask            Iface
91.65.138.254            ether   00:17:10:9a:24:a8   C                     net0

What can I do to further investigate where this comes from
or how to stop it? Please advise or explain to a total network
novice.

Thanks and kind regards,
Stefan