:: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oc…
Author: Plasma
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oct. 09, 2019
And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes for
Wednesday, October 9th, 2019.

plasma41

# Devuan meet Oct. 09, 2019 @20:30 UTC

Pad is here:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/W8OZe1vZJlyHqLCLERY1Dhzo/

Meet here: https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
   * Please post notes prior to the meet.
   * Please add your name as 'Present' below when you get to the
     meet.
   * When adding a comment in someone else's notes, please
     pre-pend your name like this: (whoever) whatever . . .

Present: plasma41, golinux, rrq, jaromil, RickMoen, fsr, duncan

## Old Business

## Old Actions
- (golinux) iso-docs completed for ascii_2.1 thanks to plasma41 and fsr
and uploaded. Relevant changes have also been added to the website.

## New Business
- progress report on ascii point release iso builds

test iso builds by rrq: https://borta.rrq.id.au/

### Beowulf notes
- amd64 different from i386
- util-linux difficult to build on i386 and on arm64
- policy-kit problems on arm64

the arm64 overdrive builder runs out of memory sometimes

### rrq
- (rrq) the choose-mirror udeb (used by the installer) by default offers
a country based mirror host, like au.deb.devuan.org. Should this be
changed before 2.1 ? Or at least provide dns/cname resolutions to
deb.devuan.org ?

- (rrq) also choose-mirror (maybe?): the installer procedure now brings
up the mirror choice dialogue sequence twice; I think it's done to
offer a distinction between choice while installing and choice to be
installed (the second appearance inherits the replies from the first).
Should this be changed before 2.1 ?

- (rrq) the choose-init udeb (used by the installer) adds an "init
  choice" dialog sequence towards the end of the default process (rather
  than an expert mode thingy). Should this be changed before 2.1 ?
  - (gl) This was just added to the 2.1 iso-docs.  It can of course be
    changed:
    - "If you would like to select an alternate init system (openrc), an
      alternate bootloader (lilo) or exclude non-free firmware, you must
      select one of the Expert install options."
  - (plasma) I am in favor of including the init question in the default
    install

- (rrq) are there any revisions to the ISO pools to do before 2.1? The
current set ups (for i386 and amd64) use the same package sets as
2.0.0.

- (rrq) note that my ISO building is done wrt two branches of a
debian-installer workspace, and all applicable configurations are
checked in. The building of ISOs for an architecture is done on a host
of the target architecture and distribution. I.e., I have one
ascii-amd64 host, and one ascii-i386 host, both dedicated for ISO
productions.

Although untried afaik, the production process is fully repeatable by
anyone. In particular, pool content is downloaded via normal apt-get,
and it does not require an on-host repository copy. (though my apt-get
download is fronted by an apt-mirror-ng as per usual)

- (rrq) Jenkins' build hosts need kernel upgrades (e.g i386 is currently
at 4.9.0-6). They should perhaps go to beowulf's version, 4.19.0-6

- (rrq) util-linux doesn't build for beowulf, due to different problems
on different arch's, which seem to be build system related rather than
s/w issues. The i386 build fails its lsblk test, but doesn't leave
enough residue for me to work out what the underlying cause is. (It
only tells that the output from the test runs differ from the stored
templates, but not and details as to how they differ. Perhaps it's a
small change to the test run scripting, to make it keep some useful
tidbits on error)

- (rrq) Similar for policykit-1, which LeePen is pursuing.

- (rrq) noted that apt has issues and needs to be forked. amesser picked
this up and stood up as maintainer. It needs to be brought in to
devuan-packages.

- (rrq) the previously forked openvpn sits untouched since 2016; needs
some hands-on and upgrade for beowulf.

- (rrq) by quick review, (at least) 117 packages in beowulf/main have
non-optional dependency on libsystemd0. Should this be addressed by an
overriding intermediate package (Centurion_Dan suggested this I think)

### LeePen
- Sorry I can't attend.

- I also have new trees for policykit-1, consolekit2, udisks2,
xfce4-session and tasksel to build for beowulf once Jenkins is more
reliable (see rrq above).

- (LeePen) I have included a libsystemd0 transitional package in a new
src:elogind which is available for review:

https://git.devuan.org/LeePen/elogind/commits/suites/unstable-proposed

It wasn't quite as straightforward as I initially thought as we have
to ensure that real libsystemd0 packages are replaced, but not the
transitional package itself. I think I have worked around that for
normal usages.

### golinux
- Is the BTS running on Devuan infra or is KatolaZ still hosting it?
- (jaromil) the BTS is running on dyne.org's infra
- (jaromil) we need to move it
- (jaromil) good reminder

- I just found a beowulf todo pad from 11/07/18 stored in my cryptdrive!

https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/aEXydBHk28Tormi6Vhyazg/EexaicIbGCz5Hj5+HPl4ZjNb/

Maybe it will be useful . . .

## New Actions
- move BTS from dyne to devuan infra
- popcon as well
- Set up new build hosts?
- jaromil to attend to build hosts
- rrq look at additional build hosts on devuan infrastruture
- adjust iso-docs re: alternate init (openrc)