:: Re: [devuan-dev] System Services - …
Author: onefang
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] System Services - request for comments...
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 17:01:17 +0100 Gray Remlin said :
> Context:
> I require a Python application (Plinth) that currently manipulates
> SystemD to work with SysVinit.
>
> Query:
> Is it reasonable to assume that the 'service' command that
> transparently handles both SystemD and SysVinit found in many Distros
> could be expanded to work with other Init systems ?
>
> Reasoning:
> The application could call the Distro provided 'service' command which
> would then perform the correct action for that specific Init system
> whether it be SystemD, OpenRC, Runit etc.
>
> I realise this is not totally straight forward due to the broken
> nature of SystemD which requires special handling in some
> circumstances. I am also assuming other Init systems are not so
> broken.

One problem, and why I don't use the service command, is this from man
service (in Devuan ASCII) -

"The existence of a systemd unit or upstart job of the same name
as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit/job to take precedence
over the init.d script."

I have sysv-init installed and running, no systemd, no upstart. I do
however have init scripts installed in the systemd and upstart places
(coz they came with the packages), so those scripts will attempt to run
if I use the service command. For example ssh and MariaDB come with
init scripts for all three.

I'd be happy for service to deal with other init systems, so long as
there is a way to tell it "Hey service, we use X init system here,
don't try to run Y or Z init systems by default".