:: Re: [devuan-dev] Patch for udisks2 …
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Svante Signell
CC: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Patch for udisks2 to enable installation of mate-desktop-environment (+etc)
Svante,

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 08:45:55PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> What does libpam-elogind provide, and which version are you talking about?
> elogind-234.4-2 is in ascii, but beowulf has elogind-241.3-1, i.e. the same
> version as Debian.

Beowulf has src:elogind 241.3-1. Its libpam-elogind package also Provides
libpam-systemd so that packages which come directly from Debian with a
libpam-systemd dependency can be used in Devuan without forking or any
recompilation.

The debian version is actually different (241.3-1+debian1) as the packaging for
debian has some differences from devuan's.

> I think we should fork that package. As for now it is built with libsystemd-dev
> not libelogind-dev!

That isn't necessary and doesn't matter. AFAIK it works just using the debian
packages. We only need to fork it if we want a version without logind support.

udisks doesn't actually use libpam-systemd/libpam-elogind itself, it just
requires the user session to be registered with logind so that it can associate
pids with the session. So it doesn't care which implementation of logind has
done that.

Actually the name of the libpam-systemd/libpam-elogind packages are perhaps
misleading. They imply they are shared libraries linked against by
programmes. Actually they are PAM plugins. Nothing else uses them directly, but
other applications rely on the functionality they provide through PAM. That is
what is going on here and why we can use libpam-elogind as a drop in
replacement. It provides the same functionlaity as libpam-systemd.

Does that make sense?

> > IIRC this was discussed a few weeks ago and you can use the Debian buster
> > udisks directly in beowulf. It was tried a few weeks ago, but perhaps you
> > could confirm that still works and works for you in mate?
>
> Confirmed by fsmithred.

Great.

> > The separate, but related question is whether we maintain a forked udisks to
> > completely remove the logind dependency. THis was discussed at the meet on 11
> > September, but I am not aware of a consensus or decision.
> >
> > My opinion, which is based on the least work required and reducing the number
> > of forked packages to maintain, would be to remove our forked versions from
> > beowulf and ceres and just use Debian's packages. But that will pull in
> > elogind for all users of udisks, which may not suit everyone.
>
> Maybe not.
>
> > > Unfortunately I don't know how to test if it works with elogind. Anybody
> > > knows?
> > Yes it does.
>
> OK, how to confirm that?

Just install the debian buster udisks2 packages, Devuan's libpam-elogind and
give it a go. You will need to log out and back in again after install to
register the session.

HTH. Best wishes.

Mark